Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Preview - Review

Way back in 1983, during an around the world trip that would last for almost 2 1/2 years I ended up for a time in the then Kingdom of Nepal.

With time on my hands, and a long held desire to see Mt. Everest, I headed off with another traveler that I had met in Kathmandu on the longer version of the trek to Everest base camp (or at least its environs).

As fortune would have it I celebrated my 25th birthday near the end of the trek, and I joked at the time that, as I loved the trek so much, I would return to celebrate my 50th birthday!

This blog will tell the story of this second journey, with of course interspersed comments from my journal from the original trip. I already know that the changes will be incredible, and that a lot of the "roughness" of the first trek will have been lost. But as they say, "That's Progress?".

Luckily to make this trip a bit more unique in its own right, my daughter will be accompanying me. I am hoping that her presence, and seeing the trek through her eyes, will help compensate for some of the negative changes that I am sure we will see.


This was the post office in Namche Bazaar, the base for the upper part of the trek. I actually mailed a letter in the little box to the left of the door... and it did make it back home.

At the time Namche was the only place on the trek that had electricity - and that was for only 2 hours a night. Unfortunately on the way back through Namche, we didn't have any electricity as the only person who knew how to run the generator was out of town.

I hear now that Namche has pool halls and even an ATM. We shall see.

No comments: